Re: Space Bags

"I wouldn't use the compression feature for any historic or museum worthy items as the
creasing could be pretty extreme."
Since the inquiry was more concerned about temperature and humidity control, could the folded- and I am assuming padded- items be placed between acid free foamcore board or other stable, stiff sheets and then the Space Bags used? Might that keep the creasing of the artifacts to a minimum while providing a more stable climate-controlled environment?
Judy Schwender
Curator of Collections / Registrar
Museum of the American Quilter's Society
Paducah, Kentucky
270-442-8856
jschwend@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Reiter, Sara" <SReiter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear Mary et al: While a graduate intern at LACMA in 1993-94 I did some
preliminary research on the Space Bags. The plastic they were using at the
time was inert - it was a food-service grade laminate. I have some here at
PMA that I use for making bags for Oxygene Deprevation Chambers. I wouldn't
use the compression feature for any historic or museum worthy items as the
creasing could be pretty extreme. My parents have a set of smaller Space
Bags that they use for traveling and love them.

Sara Reiter
Philadelphia Museum of Art