wood sealers

On the quilt history listserve there is discussion about what to seal wooden items such as valences that may come in contact with quilts.
I originally posted:
As any wood can off-gas, be sure that the quilt is not in contact with
the wood.  Better yet, acquire the wooden box two weeks before use and
seal it with two coats of alkyd-based polyurethane.
See:
Conservation Concerns: A Guide for Collectors and Curators, Konstanze
Bachmann, ed., Smithsonian Institution Press, 1992, p.74.

Then I posted:

I should have added that there is a difference between storage and
display fixtures/furniture.  For a home display I'd go with the
recommendations for museum storage requirements unless you are scrupulous about
rotating your quilts.  All too often a quilt is displayed in the home,
and 4 years later it's still there.

For information:
Northeast Document Conservation Center in Andover, MA has a technical
leaflet STORAGE FURNITURE: A BRIEF REVIEW OF CURRENT OPTIONS posted at:
http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/dept/preservation/services/storage/nedcc-storage-materials.htm

Also check out:
http://www.rap-arcc.org/leaflets/tcwho19.htm
the website for the Regional Alliance for Preservation.& nbsp; Found there:
Materials Used in Storage:
"Not all institutions can afford specially fabricated storage units or
even steel shelving. Existing equipment often has to be used or simple
wooden structures built. Solid wood is better than plywood which
contains harmful formaldehyde resin. Oil-based paints and polyurethane should
not be used to seal the wood. Shellac and water-based acrylic paints
(not latex) are safer."

Now there seems to be contradictions in my recommendations, however.  The NDCC article includes the following:
"The most readily available sealant that is recommended at this time is a moisture-borne polyurethane. Many kinds of polyurethane are available. Oil-modified polyurethanes are the most common. However, oil-modified polyurethanes, oil-based paints, and other products that contain oil or alkyd resins should be avoided. [my emphasis]  Only moisture-borne polyurethanes are recommended. Unfortunately not all moisture-borne polyurethanes on the market are safe for use. Also, formulations often change without notice. For these reasons, the polyurethane selected should be tested prior to use to guarantee its acceptability.  Contact a preservation professional for brand names of moisture-borne polyurethanes that are currently being recommended and begin testing with these. Because these urethanes do not completely prevent the escape of volatiles, choosing low-emission wood products is of critical importance."
And I located an article at  http://www.mnhs.org/preserve/conservation/reports/exhibits_handbook.pdf from Minnesota Historical Society that allows Varathane 2000 Clear Gloss Water Based for case construction, and it is not recommended in one of these other articles.

Could I please get some help for suggestions for sealing wood fixtures used to hang quilts?
Thanks very much-
Judy Schwender
Curator of Collections/Registrar
Museum of the American Quilter's Society
215 Jefferson St
Paducah, KY  42001
(270)442-8856  FAX: (270)442-5448

Do you Yahoo!?