Blue beads

Hallo and Happy New Year!

Blue and green beads attract “glass illness” much more frequently than any other colour beads. The reason appears to be the copper in the blue and green pigment that accelerates the process. Even small amounts of formaldehyde appear to be a strong catalyst, and a low ph is needed to start the process. Once the process has started the relative humidity should not be kept to low, i.e. not under 45%, but low temperatures will slow it down. As far as I know wet cleaning is not recommended for beads in that condition. I am afraid that this information will be no big help to you. They come from seminary on beads in Berlin.

Angelika Riley

Textilrestaurierung/Textile Conservation

Museum für Kunst und  Gewerbe

Steintorplatz

D-20099 Hamburg

Tel: 0049/40/428 54 27 53