From: Leila Harritt [mailto:harritt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2003 8:54 PM
To: TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Tyvek for textile labeling

It has been suggested to me that we use strlps of washed Tyvek for sewn on accession labels for textiles in a local museum's collection.  I know that this is recommended in some situations but I am more familiar with the use of cotton twill tape. I am concerned that Tyvek could be too stiff for silks and the fragil textiles to which cotton tags could be sewn.   Is this a concern in using Tyvek? Are there other concerns regarding the use of Tyvek?

If anyone can provide any information or experience with this I would greatly appreciate it.

Leila Harritt
Textile Conservator
Kansas City Missouri