Protection of Elk Hide Painting

I am sending this on behalf of someone who is not a member of the list.

We are in need of some guidance concerning how to protect the exposed
surface of a mural painted on an elk hide from oily fingers, grubby hands
and spills inflicted by visitors to an interpretive centre in a park.

Some details about the mural:
- comprised of a large elk hide stretched with rawhide on a pole frame
- artist's-quality acrylic paint applied to the hide makes up the pictoral
aspect
- once installed, the hide will be 2-3 inches away from the wall
- visitors will be able to touch it, hence we need to be able to clean it
(eg: with damp cloth)
- according to the artists, the hide gets taut when it's warm, sags if
below room temperature (The facility is used year round so while there are
temperature and humidity fluctations it is not severe.)

The hide was prepared by soaking it in water, with the hair removed by hand
and scraping in difficult areas. We monitored the temperature level that
the hide stayed taut...room temperature between 60-70 degrees preferably
dry air. No other products used on the hide other than the artistic paint.
The rawhide lacing is taut and holding the hide secure at the appropiate
consistency so any liquid applied may cause some reaction to the
tension...this again may pose a problem.  The artist recommended that if
anything was applied to it- do it at small, even intervals.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.
Lorrie Storr