Orvus

I use a 2% solution of Orvus, which is about two times the CMC, taking into
account the actual concentration of sodium lauryl sulfate in the paste.
This translates to roughly 750ml per ten gallons of water - yes, I really do
use that much Orvus, and make a 2% bath for most textiles.  If I'm primarily
interested in removing water-soluble degradation products rather than soil,
I use a lower concentration, and sometimes sponge a higher concentration
onto textiles that are heavily soiled or have especially oily soil.

But I have another question - I also Igepal, and I'm wondering if anyone
knows the CMC of this detergent.  I've been basing my solutions on an
educated guess, which is admittedly not the best way to do it.  And until I
have time to try Karin's method, I wonder if anyone has the answer.

thanks,

Deborah

Deborah Bede
Stillwater Textile Conservation Studio, LLC
196 Old Warner Road
Bradford, NH 03221
(603) 938-2310
(603) 938-2455 fax