Needlework on perforated paper

I would like to seek advice from others who have had experience with a wool
needlework on a perforated paper substrate.  This object is in a fairly
weakened state with numerous splits in the paper, some of which have been
previously repaired with old magazine paper strips (adhered to the reverse
but are soluble in water).  This piece also has tide lines along the upper
edge (due to flood damage) and is distorted (cockled).  The wool yarn is
faded and has some insect damage.

The advice I seek is for cleaning and mounting.  I have treated a similar
object that was in much better condition, where I repeatedly wetted with
purified water then blotted, and finally weighted between layers of blotting
paper to block.  This was relatively successful, however given the condition
of this object I am seeking further insight from others who may have worked
with this type of material.  Is there a better way to clean this?  Or would
cleaning be ill advised?  I should also say that I do have access to a
suction table (that doesn't suck well!).

With regards to mounting this piece, I have been considering a pressure
mount, again due to its condition.  Any comments or suggestions would be
appreciated.

Shirley

Shirley Ellis, MAC, CAPC
FSO/Conservator