Re: Masonite replacement

Jenny Barnett--Here in the US, Small Corporation produces sealed textile frames for traveling exhibitions; these frames--like small vitrines--control RH; temperature, if I remember correctly, is controlled by the traveling case. My question was about retrofitting existing frames to remove the embrittled masonite boards without remounting the mounted textile. Sometimes it is preferable to use the same format, so as not to change the internal dynamics of a mounting system: a masonite back so often signifies a glass glazing in front, a solid back might change the internal dynamics. This, as you point out, might be a problem in a relatively uncontrolled environment--and if the institution still has masonite, the chances are that the environmental conditions are generally not well controlled! However, you cannot say to a museum, "spend 10 million dollars on a new HVAC system before I will change your backboards" or "put every textile in a traveling case and ignore the building" Som!
times the mount is fine, the textile is fine, just the backboard needs changing. Mary