Future Conservation Research in Europe

To all conservators from EU countries:

-----Opprinnelig melding-----
> Fra: Roxana Radvan [SMTP:radvan@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
> <mailto:[SMTP:radvan@xxxxxxxxxxxx]>
> Sendt: 04. april 2001 14:21
> Til: astrid.brandt@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:astrid.brandt@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Kopi: c.sabbioni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; <mailto:c.sabbioni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx;>
> terje.nypan@xxxxx <mailto:terje.nypan@xxxxx>
> Emne: URGENT!!!!

Dear colleagues this message concerns all of us, please read the following
letter and add your name, profession and Nationality at the signatures to
support a pan European action against the decision of the European
Parliament to vote for the 6th framework program without including the
specific program of Cultural Heritage. Every 50 signatures remember to
send this mail back to vivitor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:vivitor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The European parliament is going to vote for the 6th framework program
beginning of May. The proposal of the European community for the 6th
framework plans
for research, technological development and demonstration activities
concerning the multi annual framework programme 2002-2006 omits completely
the research towards protection, conservation and enhancement of Cultural
Heritage.
A proposal written from the member states of European Union promulgating
the future directions of research for the member states excluding the
research
towards protection, conservation and enhancement of Cultural Heritage is a
proposal that could be written by any other Union in the world but the
European.
European cultural heritage and all actions for its protection is for
European citizens as important -if not more - as the development of
nanotechnology, bioengineering, informatics and aeronautics, that are the
main programs proposed for funding from the common shareable European
capitals in the 6th framework program, and it deserves proportional
importance and funding.
All the European people involved in Cultural Heritage aspects should
remind to our elected representatives in European Parliament the meaning of
European Culture and Cultural heritage to the definition and generation of
the European identity and the principal role that plays in tightening the
otherwise diverse European countries. We should remind them the leading
part of our commonly founded European Culture that consolidates diversities
into a collective cultural wealth against borders, racism and xenophobia. We
should remind them that the research already undertaken by all European
countries involves many hundreds of people educated, trained, expertized
throughout all those years of the previous framework programs thereafter
professionally devoted in this field which are now going to be
deliberately excluded from the European research area. We should remind them
that the
research in Cultural Heritage problems requires resources and
infrastructures not readily available in National level. We should remind
them that efficient research in protection and preservation is the only
way to keep the European Cultural treasures within Europe.
We therefore require from the representatives of the European parliament
to reform the proposal for the 6th framework program involving an additional
specific program for research on protection, conservation and enhancement
of Cultural Heritage.
> Signatures
> 1. Vivi Tornari, Optical Physics-Laser applications laboratory FORTH-IESL,
> Greece
> 2. Vassilis Zafiropulos, Institute of Electronic Structure & Laser, FORTH,
> Greece
> 3. Roxana Radvan, National Institute of R&D for Optoelectronics, INOE2000,
> Romania
> 4. Terje Nypan, Directorate of Cultural Heritage, Norway.
> 5. Axel Mykleby, ICOMOS Norway, Oslo, NORWAY
> 6. Tone Olstad, conservator , Norway
> 7. Jon Brænne, Conservator, Norway.
> 8. Margareta Ekroth Edebo, Institute of Conservation, Sweden
> 9.Gunilla Lagnesjö, Head of conservation, Studio of the western Sweden
conservators trust,  Sweden
>10.Inger Nyström, Conservator, Studio of the western Sweden conservators
trust,  Sweden
>11. Monica Gustafsson, Conservator, Studio of the western Sweden
conservators trust,  Sweden
>12. Richard Francén, Conservator, Studio of the western Sweden conservators
trust,  Sweden
>13. Martin Erikson, Conservator, Studio of the western Sweden conservators
trust,  Sweden
>14. Lotti Bejaminsson, Conservator, Studio of the western Sweden
conservators trust,  Sweden
>15. Ingalill Nyström, Conservator, Studio of the western Sweden
conservators trust,  Sweden
16. Anna Javér, Conservator, The World Culture Museum, Sweden
17. Kerstin Petersson, Conservator, National Museum of Ethnography, Sweden