Problem reframing

I have been a lurker here for some time.  I am a professional picture framer
and often deal with framing and reframing textiles of all kinds.  Today I
received a problem textile and I don't know how to handle it.  I hope you
can help.

This is a contemporary cross stitch on natural colored linen about 11 by 18
inches.  The work is very fine, and is done in cotton threads, metallic
threads, and is also heavily beaded with glass beads.  The owner/maker was
dissatisfied with the old framing job, about 15 years old (done by someone
else).  The mounting was beginning to "fail" in odd places, and the linen
was looking puckered, and loose in those spots. When we opened up the frame
and took the piece out we found that it had been glued to 1/4" rubber foam,
with the excess linen brought to the back (of a piece of chip board) and
masking taped down.  We got the masking tape off, and there was plenty of
extra fabric so the tape residue won't be a problem.  However, except where
it is failing, the adhesive on the reverse side of the front is holding it
fast to the foam, which is turning an awful shade of yellow/brown.

I have used adhesive release on  badly mounted inexpensive papers with no
harm, but do not want to try using it on this needlework without some expert
input.   I am afraid of what it may do to the metallics, which may actually
be mylar.  I don't know which is worse, leaving it on the foam, or using the
adhesive release, which may or may not work.  This is too gorgeous a piece
to allow it to be ruined.

I imagine I could remove it from the foam by working dry, from the back, and
peeling down to the reverse of the stitchery, but that would still leave the
adhesive and foam residue on the reverse.

I will be grateful for any input.

Judy Grow
Frames & Framers
500 Mercer Mall, Route One