Re: Washing silk

Irene Karsten--If you think of sodium lauryl sulfate as a "colorless" dye on silk, you may find the problem easier to think about: you bleed it off slowly. Raising the temperature will help, as will adding ethanol to the rinse. The latter method has its own set of problems though. There are times when sodium lauryl sulfate and its properties are quite useful, but perhaps in this instance your goal and your method were not a good match! If you or others on the list would like a copy of the other Rhee & Ballard papers on this topic (from Harpers Ferry Group and from AIC/Textiles), please let me know by emailing me at ballardm@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Please do not reply to this texcons message!) Mary Ballard

>>> ikarsten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 03/08/01 05:27PM >>>
I have recently washed several metres of silk fabric in preparation for a
research project.  I was quite amazed to see how many rinses were necessary
before the detergent suds were removed.  The fabric was from Testfabrics, a
silk habutae (#609), which is a light-weight, plain weave fabric.  The fabric
had been desized, scoured and degummed before shipping to me.  I hand washed
the fabric using Orvus WA Paste at a concentration of 3 grams/litre (the cmc
of Orvus in the water that we use as measured by Rebecca Tinkham).  I first
washed the silk using reverse osmosis purified water and standard conservation
techniques identical to those I had used for silk crepeline and polyester
crepeline, with three intial baths, including the detergent bath, at 40C.
After 17 rinses, including a few with running water, considerable bubbling,
presumably from the detergent, was still being released.  I then washed the
silk in tap water, which enabled me to wash and rinse at higher temperatures
(55-60C), with similar results.  Twenty rinses, half in tap water, half in
purified water, were necessary to remove the detergent residue.

I also washed a similar, plain-weave nylon fabric in hot tap water, as I had
the silk, and found that the fabric had rinsed clear in 6 rinses.

Has anyone observed similar results for washing silk?  Is the fabric
construction an important factor in detergent retention (the silk crepeline
rinsed out okay)?  What cleaning procedures have you used for preparing silk
fabrics for backing purposes, or do you generally avoid silk?

I am aware, from the research done by Rhee and Ballard (ICOM-CC 10th Triennial
Meeting Washington, 1993, Vol. 1, 327-329), that anionic detergents are highly
attracted to silk fibres.  I understood from that article, however, that
rinsing was very effective in removing the detergent.  How little residue is
sufficient to produce bubbling in the rinse water?

Thanks for any observations and feedback.

Irene Karsten

Doctoral Student in Textile Conservation
Department of Human Ecology
3-02 Human Ecology Building
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta