Insects

Dear colleagues,
thanks a lot for all your fast and efficient help on- and offline. The rugs are now safely in the freezer, the "worms" identified as common cloth moths. Concerning to David Pinninger, whom I contacted thanks to a hint by some of you, I am lucky to be able to freeze down to -40 - -45°C: He stated:

>I think that the answer to you question depends upon the temperature at which you freeze the objects. I have discussed this with Tom Strang in the past and we feel that if you are dropping the tmeperature of an object rapidly to -30 then pests will not be able to acclimate and survive 72 hours at this low temperature.
If you are dropping to -18 then there is more possibility of surviving.

Thanks again for helping me. Sincerely, Karin von Lerber

Prevart GmbH
Konzepte für die Kulturgütererhaltung
Oberseenerstr. 93
CH-8405 Winterthur