Re: pest infestation in rug

Karin,

I've been following this with interest.

If your client is leery of cleaning the rug, or chemical residues, there is always anoxic treatment. The rugs would have to be sealed in a barrier film envelope and the oxygen could then be removed chemically or by purging. The rugs would have to then be kept at a warm room temperature for at least a week or two.

Of course, I would agree that this is a perfect time of year for treatment by freezing. The big question is: "how effective will this treatment be?" I learned about residual infestation the hard way, as I'm living and working in a former fur storage vault. Although the vaults have not been used for furs for many years, I still see adult moths appear when the building warms up dramatically after a short cold period. I can't be certain, but I think the eggs that are hatching may be quite old. I do know that they seem to hatch randomly, depending on the temperature changes and not the season.

I lost a few pairs of pants to these webbing moths last year, and I lost two large (and expensive) wool rugs to moths a few years ago. I just never got round to protecting or treating them. Lord knows, I have the materials! They say the cobbler's children run barefoot through the streets.

If you are interested in learning more about anoxia, let me know. Good luck

js

>>> karin.vonlerber@xxxxxxxxxx 01/05/01 03:59PM >>>
I am afraid, that the question I asked was not completely understood: I know of all the different possibilities of eradication, the litarature etc. But my questions is as follows:
As my client has been keeping the rug for at least two days in the cold now, the insects most probably have started hibernating. The client wishes - for several reasons - a shock-freeze treatment to be done. For how long do I have to re-acclimatize the larvae to room temperature so as to wake all of them up? If they are frozen in the dormant state they are in now, I understand from literature, they will probably survive even -40°C (the temperature I am able to reach with the equipment at hand).
Does anyone have an answer to this question?

Thanks, Karin von Lerber

------------------------------------------------- Prevart GmbH Konzepte für die Kulturgütererhaltung Oberseenerstr. 93 CH-8405 Winterthur Tel. *41 (0)52-233 12 54 Fax *41 (0)52-233 12 57 e-mail: karin.vonlerber@xxxxxxxxxx Website: www.prevart.ch

Jerry Shiner
Object & Textile Conservation Services Ltd. O/A
Keepsafe Systems & Forever Yours Gown Bridal Preservation
Visit www.gowncare.com