Re: Insekt infestation

Karin von Lerber--According to Tom Strang's collection of temperature/time limits, published data indicate -20 C for dermestidae  and -18 C for Tineola bisselliella are required temperatures to be maintained for several weeks  (Collection Forum vol 8 #2 9(1992):41-67. At these temperatures, the carpets will be more brittle and should be handled circumspectly (indirectly).
Alternatively, it is my understanding that wet cleaning or drycleaning will kill the insects; the surfactant (tenside) will alter the surface tension on the larvae. Fumigation with sulfuryl fluoride (by a licensed fumigator) would work at 8x to 16x the dosage for termites; it should be carried out twice to insure mortality to the eggs. The home/collection from which the felts came must be wet mopped (with soapy water) to kill insects not taken out with the carpets. Best wishes, Mary Ballard

>>> karin.vonlerber@xxxxxxxxxx 01/05/01 08:35AM >>>
Dear colleagues,
I will within some hours recieve two Usebkan felt carpets with some type of textile "worms" eating their way. I intend to freeze them, but there is a mayor problem:
When the client detected the damage, he put the two carpets out on his balcony before contacting a museum which refered him to me. In Switzerland, the temperatures are now around zero °C and slightly below. I am worried, that the insect larvae have now started to hibernate and will not be killed by freezing. Can anybody help me *quickly* on how safely to proceede? For how long will I have to warm the carpets up again at room temperature (of course tightly packed in plastic...) to make sure the larvae start eating and thriving again before shock freezing them? Is there something else to be worried about with this "detour" to the regular treatment?

Thanks for any help! Sincerely, Karin von Lerber

Prevart GmbH
Konzepte für die Kulturgütererhaltung
Oberseenerstr. 93
CH-8405 Winterthur