Re: "Condensation" in plastic

Mary,

I know conservators have a lot in common with doctors (and lawyers, sorry). They can't just give out general advice without knowing the specifics. That understood (and leaving references to gloriously tanned bread loaves aside), do you think a carefully folded textile in a "normal" home or museum environment is in any danger if enclosed in a (safe) plastic envelope?

It is, I know, a dangerously general question. It would help to know if the envelope is sealed or open, is the air "treated", what are the vapour transmission characteristics of the plastic, what are the surface characteristics, does it offgas? etc. BUT, I'm looking for a general attitude. I'm hoping to create a crack in the hocus-pocus and old wives' tales that talk of breathing textiles. Maybe I'm wrong.

Do you see a danger in storing textiles in plastics if "properly" approached?

js
Jerry Shiner
Object & Textile Conservation Services Ltd. O/A
Keepsafe Systems & Forever Yours Gown Bridal Preservation
Visit www.gowncare.com