Re: Cleaning old textiles.

At 02:39 AM 28/07/00 +0200, Geoff Ford wrote:
I collect amongst many things, old textiles of all types, bedcovers, embroided cotton bedsheets & pillowcases, silk curtains, lace, etc.
My question is two fold:- How do I wash them without damaging the covers and especially the tassels; and are there any books or Web-sites to help me with cleaning and repairing all old textiles?

Geoff,
I'm not a conservator, so I have a certain freedom in writing to you. Professional conservators must be very careful about what they say in public, especially when giving general advice. (Their best advice is often misconstrued or misapplied- every treatment is a little different.)
That said, I am often given old wedding gowns for "restoration". I always consult a qualified conservator when I have a problem or something new to me- they are amazing in the depth of their knowledge. Through their help, some books I've found, and a little experience I have learned some useful techniques:
I would first suggest you get a microscope, perhaps a loupe or good magnifying glass, some tweezers, a butane lighter, and do pursue the books on textiles and textile preservation. Just being able to determine what the fibres are (and even knowing what they aren't) is very useful. Understanding a little about the weaves and the actual manufacture of the fibre and cloth will make your job of cleaning and caring for your treasures much easier.
The other thing I've learned from the pros (and from a checkered past) is that a big sheet of plastic and a hose are enough equipment to do a relatively thorough cleaning. You would be amazed to see how primitive the equipment and methods of "professional" cleaners are. (My family started cleaning furs in 1933, so I got to see a lot of dry cleaning shops from the inside, as well as becoming variously competent as a fur cleaner, lining spotter and scrubber, sawdust shoveler, steamer, blower, presser, electrifier (don't ask), examiner, storage vault technician, shipper, driver, mechanic, salesman and manager. Gave me a great sense of perspective, a sensitivity to perc, and bad feet.)
Do be careful about using washing machines (although I find a carefully prepared and monitored spin cycle can sometimes be a great time saver). I'll leave it to the experts in this forum to advise you of books that will be useful. I don't know where on Malta you'll find them, but they do make for fascinating study, if not a great summer read.
Best of luck, I salute you for your efforts!
js
Jerry Shiner, President
Forever Yours Bridal Gown Preservation
www.gowncare.com Toll-free 1 800 683-4696