RE: advice sought on textile history source(s)

Hi Sarah,
Sorry to respond to your inquiry so late.  This is very unscientific info,
but my parents were Germans living on farms in small villages in Poland
during WWII.  My mother has often talked about seeing her grandmother
weaving linen on a large loom.  Evidently, flax was grown all over Eastern
and Central Europe and the typical farmers wife was engaged in home weaving
activities amongst other domestic pursuits.  Hope this helps,
Susan

Susan Schmalz
Assistant Conservator of Textiles
Los Angeles County Museum of Art