From: Susan Brookes [mailto:sbrookes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2000 3:32 PM
To: 'TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: sewing a movie theatre curtain

I wonder if you could help me with some information.

I am part of the North Shore Embroiderer's Guild here, and a group of us
have been asked to advise the Auckland City Council on the replication of a
theatre curtain.  We will almost certainly be asked to do the actual
replication as well.

The curtain was made in 1923 for the Civic Theatre.  The theatre is an
'eastern' extravaganza with golden elephants, a ceiling with twinkling
stars and drifting clouds, panthers with glowing eyes.  It was a wonderful
1920s movie theatre, dance venue and live theatre.  It has since fallen on
hard times, but luckily was not demolished in the 60s or 70s.  The Auckland
City Council has completely refurbished it as part of their Millenium
activities.

One of the things they have not done yet is the curtain.  The original was
sold in the mid 70s, but is still available for study, although pieces have
been cut off it.  It is on cotton velvet, and measures about 13mx10m.  It
was always hung straight, on a flat.  It depicts flamingos in a lake, with
trees and bushes on either side. The shapes that form these are of various
fabrics - flannel, silk, velvet etc -, some of them have been painted, and
are appliqued onto the  velvet curtain.  There is never more than two
layers of fabric (1 of curtain, and 1 of applied fabric).  There is brown
paper between the shapes and the velvet.  The shapes are applied by what
looks like a machine made chain stitch (chain on top, straight stitch
underneath), worked around the edge of the pieces in a

It is quite irregular.

We would be most grateful if you could help us answer our questions, which
are:
is it likely that the chain stitch was machine made, and what sort of
machine would have been used?
we think that the brown paper was used as a pattern to cut the fabric
shapes.  We think that it was glued to the fabric, cut around, glued to the
curtain in position, then sewn around.  It has been suggested that shellac
might have been used as glue.  Is shellac a suitable glue, or are there
better modern equivalents?
what sort of a sewing machine can reach about 2 metres into the centre of
fabric.  I have approached sail makers, but the 'throats' of their machines
are only 1 metre, and we do not wish to 'screw up' the velvet to fit it
into this width.

If you cannot help, can you suggest anywhere else I could ask.

Regards
Susan Brookes
Business Information Service
Auckland City Libraries