[padg] FW: The American Institute for Conservation Announces It Will Host Conservation OnLine

From: Ray, Kelsey [mailto:kray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:19 AM
Subject: The American Institute for Conservation Announces It Will Host Conservation OnLine

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Contact:

Eryl Wentworth

(202) 661-8060

ewentworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The American Institute for Conservation Announces It Will Host Conservation OnLine

Washington, DC (June 22, 2009)--The American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC) announced that they will now host Conservation OnLine (CoOL) after 22 years of its being hosted by Stanford University Libraries. CoOL is a web-based library of conservation information, covering a wide spectrum of topics of interest to those involved with the conservation of library, archives, and museum materials. It contains approximately 120,000 documents, including an online archive of the Journal of the American Institute for Conservation. It also includes the Conservation DistList, with 9,969 subscribers from at least 91 countries. CoOL serves as both an important resource for information and as a forum for conservation professionals all over the world.

AIC’s first priority is to make the DistList operational as soon as possible. Further announcements will be made as to the resumption of activity on the DistList and where other CoOL resources will be located in the future. We are continuing discussions with allied and affiliate organizations in order to make CoOL’s transition as seamless as possible.

AIC is pleased to be entrusted with these invaluable resources and for the opportunity to sustain and develop them into the future. Our goal is to keep CoOL and the DistList safe, viable, objective, and accessible for the conservation community worldwide.

The American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC) exists to support the conservation professionals who preserve our cultural heritage. As the only national membership organization in the United States dedicated to the preservation of cultural material, the AIC plays a crucial role in establishing and upholding professional standards, promoting research and publications, providing educational opportunities, and fostering the exchange of knowledge among conservators, allied professionals, and the public. From humble beginnings and a handful of members in 1972, the AIC has grown to over 3,500 conservators, educators, scientists, students, archivists, art historians, and other conservation enthusiasts in over twenty countries around the world, all of whom have the same goal: to preserve the material evidence of our past so we can learn from it today and appreciate it in the future.

Visit AIC’s website at www.conservation-us.org to learn more about AIC, membership benefits, and caring for works of art and other material culture. Please send comments or questions to coolinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kelsey Ray

Outreach and Development Assistant

Foundation of the American Institute for Conservation

1156 15th Street, NW - Suite 320

Washington, DC  20005-1714

202.661-8070

202.452.9328 fax