[padg] RE: Re: mold advice

De-humidifiers have to be plumbed out of the space or emptied constantly.
(Nights and weekends can be a problem.)  I've used them in South Carolina,
and they helped some, but they weren't that effective in large spaces.

I'd recommend using fans in addition to protective masks and gloves.
Set up fans to get the air moving; this should inhibit mold growth.   We
used large carpet drying fans which moved the air effectively without
blowing directly on the books. Open up the compact shelving as much as
possible to get the air circulating.
If you have very good HEPA filtered vacuums, you might consider vacuuming
spines and shelves that don't have mold growing on them.  This quick and
"dirty" approach would reduce the mold spores and could keep the mold growth
from spreading.  Cleanliness is as essential as lowering the humidity.
If the university turns off the HVAC when the library is closed, urge them
to leave it on during this crisis at the least.

Patricia Morris
Faculty Director, Pres. Dept.
Univ. Libraries
Univ. of Colorado at Boulder