[padg] Mass scanning - answer to query

Hi Walter et al-

We at Yale were involved in the Microsoft Project and the Preservation Department created some guidelines (a checklist basically) determining which books could or could not go to be scanned by Kirtas. They used a robotic scanning device. Responses in Yale blue below ;)

1. Were decisions to withdraw items from the scanning queue made subjectively or were specific criteria applied?  Were condition evaluations made in advance of project start-up or as the project progressed?

Our project is a mass scanning project purely for access.  No physical items are being withdrawn, or even moving from the library they currently reside.  We wanted to ensure that as little damage as possible would occur to our materials during the process.

We had a set of criteria that we predetermined before the project began. These criteria are (taken from our guidelines given to those selecting the materials to be scanned):

Below are a series of questions or statements to go through to make certain that the book is able to go through the digitization process without damage. If the answer is YES/ TRUE to any of the questions or statements below, it should remain on the shelf and be excluded from the digitization process.

1)      Are the book covers loose or detached?

2)      The book falls outside the guides on the sizing template (larger than 11”x 14”).

3)      Is the imprint or copyright date after 1923?

4)      The book cannot open to the same angle as the sizing template (120º). (sizing template is a book cradle that we had made)

5)      Are there more than 5 pages loose or detached? **

6)      Are there more than 10 foldouts? **

7)      Are there more than 10 pages with “onion skin” overlays? **

8)      Are there a number of pages stuck together?

9)      Is the book severely warped or deformed?

10)   Is the text so far into the gutter of the book that it cannot be read easily?

**If you find one of these, please insert a blue flag in the location of the FIRST instance of the issues. You do not have to flag every instance in the book.

We reviewed the first batches being scanned to make sure the guidelines were being followed and damage was not occurring due to scanning. There were some instances (7% in the first return) but it has dramatically reduced since the project has progressed.

Because the incidences of damage have reduced and in order to have more material scanned, these criteria have loosened up some. We are allowing loose pages, foldouts and onion skin overlays to go as those items are scanned by hand on the Kirtas machine.

One of the major obstacles for our collection is the amount of brittle and oversewn materials that we have. These cannot be scanned due to openability restrictions and the pages breaking off in the gutter. We gave an additional handout with illustrations to assist folks with spotting these types of books specifically. I attach it to this message.

2. If a robotic scanning device was used:

(a) were only items considered to be in good enough condition for scanning on the robotic device digitized?

Yes, but our vendor has made some exceptions to how scanning would be handled in some situations.  For example, we will allow materials with loose pages to go to be scanned, provided the scanning operator scans the loose pages by hand.

(b) were some items scanned on the device with the robotic device disabled – if so approximately what percent were selected for manual page turning?  What criteria were used to decide this?

We do not have data that determines how many items needed hand page turning. Considering the condition of our collections, I would guess maybe 10-20%.

(c) were two dual-camera machines used (one for robotic, one for manual page turning with the robotic device disabled)?

The same machine could be used for both. The robotic element would be switched off to perform hand turning.

3.  What options were considered for items perceived to be at risk of damage whether the robotic device was used or pages were turned manually?

            (a) do not scan?

            At risk items are not scanned. Now at this point this is oversewn brittle materials and materials that cannot be opened at least 120 degrees.

            (b) scan on an alternate device with book cradle?

4. What options were considered for fold-outs?

            (a) do not scan?

            Originally it was do not scan but this has now changed. Foldouts are scanned by hand as they appear in the book.

            (b) scan on an alternate device?

5. If one or more separate workflows were developed for any reason (foldouts; risk of damage on dual camera device; entire volume too large or small for scanning with the dual camera device, etc.), was the scanning done on-site or shipped to an alternate site?

Scanning was completed on site.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me or Ian Bogus at ian.bogus@xxxxxxxx

Thanks!

Tara