[padg] Re: deferred binding of paperbacks

We started deferring binding for new paperbacks about 10 years ago and I continue to think it was a good decision. We bind after two circulations, although it is not unusual for a paperback to circulate three or four times before it is routed for binding. Our criteria for binding right away are similar to those Shannon described for Michigan -- thin, large, spiral, comb, needs a pocket for accompanying materials, poor leaf attachment, cover design will catch on other books, fragile. Each year about 3% to 5% of paperbacks sent to Preservation for binding after circulation show some kind of damage, most of which is minor and sometimes would have happened even if the book had a hardcover binding.

Our decision to bind after two circulations was based on the ideas that use is a predictor of future use and, for those books that will be used enough to warrant binding, it makes the most sense to bind before they sustain much wear and tear. We also wanted to keep procedures as simple as possible so we would not wind up sinking our savings from fewer bindings into higher costs for labor-intensive sorting and decision-making. Under that rationale we excluded non-circulating materials from deferral. Prompted by gloomy budget projections, we're revisiting that decision and thinking about deferring binding on some soft-cover reference materials and serials that look and behave on the shelf more like monographs. We have not decided yet if we're going to apply some systematic measure of use, take a more intuitive approach, or wait until signs of wear or damage. I am reluctant to stop using circulation threshold for binding for circulating materials because of the risk of eroding the overall condition of the collection but I don't think we can rule out moving to selection based purely on condition. I'm interested in how others who defer binding for non-circulating materials handle selection for binding.

Andy

Andrew Hart
Head, Preservation Department
CB#3910, Davis Library