From: Robert J. Milevski [mailto:milevski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 11:21 AM
To: padg@xxxxxxx
Subject: [padg] Digital Surrogates of Special Collection Material

Folks,

The following questions are in regard your institution's response to
reader/user requests for digital copies (that are produced in-house)
of analog special collections materials.  Thanks.

Robert

What resolution images do you provide the requestor?  High, low? High

Do you provide TIFF or JPG or some other image format? TIFF format
Do you watermark the image(s)? No

Do you burn a CD/DVD of the image(s) and then snail mail it?  Email the file? We burn a CD/DVD and snail mail as files are usually too large to send in email. We have begun to use Yousendit (http://www.yousendit.com/)to send large files rather than burn disks; we also digitize complete books requested from our rare book collection (that we cannot offer through ILL) and make them available online, accessible from records in our local catalog and Worldcat (users gets the url to the online version and we do not burn a CD)

Do you archive these images (to respond to possible future requests
for the same item) or delete them? We do archive the images and manage them in a database; the images provide a record of interest in special collections and, in the case of an archival photographs project, we get requests for digital copies of photographs that have not yet made the project queue; we digitize them for the customer and then manage them in the archive until we incorporate them into the project

If archived, what imaging spec is used to create the original/master
(presumably TIFF) image?  300/600dpi?  x pixels in the long direction? For paper 400-600 dpi, depending on size of original and other characteristics; for slides 1200 dpi

If archived (and presumably backed up/preserved), how are the
files/directories named so that you can locate them again for another request? Digital objects are named with unique identifiers that are constructed based on the analog classification or collection; although arranged in directories every file has a unique name and database entry to easily link the digital object back to its analog counterpart

Robert J. Milevski
Preservation Librarian
and Manager, Typography Studio
Princeton University Library