[padg] Newspaper Clippings and Scrapbooks

The museum recently received two scrapbooks containing newspaper articles written by a prominent local waterfront writer from the 1920s and 1930s. The scrapbooks are full of great local articles about Pacific Coast fishing during a time period that will be of great interest to our members. Although the newspaper clipping are fairly well preserved the articles were glued to acidic scrapbook pages and cannot be easily removed.

We have a number of strategies:

  1. Copy the articles onto archival paper and preserve the masters, which would require disassembling the scrapbook binding. Many of the clippings are in an overlay arrangement, one on top of another requiring several to be removed from the backing at the risk of damage.
  2. Microfilm the entire collection, however, our budget does not currently support such an undertaking.
  3. Interweave the pages of the scrapbooks with interleave buffered paper and store in archive boxes.
Are there any suggestions from someone that faced a similar situation?

Joseph Cottingham

Maritime Museum of San Diego