[padg] RE: Co-libri cover material

Another quick but safe option for books with a tight opening: cut open
the top of the jacket, slide the book into the jacket vertically, then
seal to fit.

--Jake

Jacob Nadal
Preservation Officer, UCLA Library

jnadal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | (310) 794-9352

UCLA Library Preservation Department
Box 957230, 11020 Kinross Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90095-7230

---------------
On 11/7/08 12:35 PM, "Hansen, Susan K" <susan-hansen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A note on the process of using CoLibri rather than the composition of
the pouches.  We have developed a gentle procedure here at the
University of Iowa Libraries to place CoLibri covers on Special
Collections books.  We take two pouches, weld each to custom size before
they are placed on the book, then slip one on the front cover, one on
the back cover, and join the two with a welded seam at the (back cover)
spine.  It is necessary to open the book's covers only enough to slip
the sized pouch over each cover and dust jacket (if available).

Susan Hansen
Preservation Department
University of Iowa Libraries
Iowa City IA 52242-1420