[padg] Re: Binding Music Scores

Karen, the process of binding music scores transferred  from our Music Library to the Preservation and Conservation lab in Joyner Library around 1993-1994.  Materials arrive with a conservation form filled in by the Music Library  staff with specific instructions for each piece.  Staff from both the Music and Joyner libraries have worked together to be sure the materials are bound, repaired and/or conserved according to the needs and guidelines of the Music library and according to conservation standards.  We do not require musical training but it would be considered  a plus.  Scores and parts are clearly marked,  scores are sewn to lie flat  in an acid-free, 60 pt.  gray/white board.   Per guidelines archival 10pt. board is sewn to specified “parts” for support.  Tyvek pockets are made and adhered to pamphlet binder to house music “parts” and a verify pieces label (number of parts is written on the label) is pasted to the back cover.  The title and composer are written on the spine edge with an acid-free gel pen.

Some spiral pieces that are in good condition are sewn into the same acid-free 60 pt. pamphlet binders.

We also use single 60 pt. boards to create covers for  items that were originally bound with a plastic comb binding machine.  We have a comb binding machine in house which makes this possible as long as the spaces match.

Some of the reasons for transferring the process to our Preservation and Conservation lab was to consolidate supplies and equipment, to centralize training and space issues.

Gloria Bradshaw

Preservation & Conservation

Joyner Library

East Carolina University