From: Robert J. Milevski [mailto:milevski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2008 2:20 PM
To: padg@xxxxxxx
Subject: [padg] Call Number Reclassification, Label Printer and Acid-free Labels

Folks,

I looked at the PADG archives on a topic in which I am interested but
did not find anything to satisfy this interest.  So, I ask the following.

Firestone Library staff will begin to reclassify books from its
homegrown Richardson classification system to LC to create a unified
collection out of collections presently separate.  We are interested
in reliable PC-connected label printers and archival labels to
(re)label the spines of books (mostly 19th and early 20th
century).  The label printer should be able to generate labels about
1" or so wide.  The labels should be archival (as much as
possible).  And they should be pressure sensitive.

A Dymo printer was identified as a possibility
(http://global.dymo.com/enUS/Categories/LabelWriter_Printers.html)
but it appears that the labels are not acid-free (at least this is
not mentioned in label descriptions) and may not have as tenacious an
adhesive as we would like.

Does anyone have suggestions for other equipment and labels?

When I checked the PADG archives, Deb McKern wrote in 1999 about an
LC spec for labels that would soon be published but there was no
evident follow-up on PADG about this.  Anyone know something more?

As well, I have heard that NLM may have a label spec as well?  Any
news on this?

So, any info will be much appreciated.  Thank you.

Robert
Robert J. Milevski
Preservation Librarian
and Manager, Typography Studio