[padg] Dust Jackets

Title: Dust Jackets

Our library is investigating retaining dust jackets on books in the general circulating collection by covering them with Mylar. We would like to know if other academic libraries are doing this. If so, what department is in charge of covering the dust jackets? What type of attachment are you using? Where in the process of shelf preparation does the procedure occur? How much time per jacket does the procedure generally take? How do the dust jackets hold up with use? We would appreciate any input.

Thank you!

Milner Library

Preservation Department

Heather Marie Kosur

Soline d'Haussy

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Heather Marie Kosur

Illinois State University

Milner Library

Processing

Campus Box 8900

201 North School Street

Normal, Illinois 61790-8900

(309) 438-5941

hmkosur@xxxxxxxxx

"I will fight for what I believe in until I drop dead. And that's what keeps you alive." Barbara Castle, British Labour politician