Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2008 10:53 AM
Subject: [padg] RE: call number labels

We in the Processing Unit at Milner Library at Illinois State University use the Zebra 2844 heat transfer printer with 1? continuous stock white labels. I highly suggest this option. We have found that these stickers firmly adhere to just about every book and library material surface. We currently use the labels on cloth and buckram covers, paperbacks, pamphlet binders, boxes, Mylar, CD and DVD cases, etc? Since the printing process uses heat transfer, the writing does not come off the labels. Also, the labels are really difficult to write on so we don?t have to worry about them being marked up. These labels do not require any time of label protector because they are so durable. In fact, we have completely stopped using any type of acid free tape or polyester label saver on all of our materials. We have also found that we can print any kind of sticker we need for the library using Microsoft Word and our Zebra printer. This last consideration was extremely important as we made some labeling decisions for our new onsite storage area because the physical area has very dry air and these Zebra labels were the only material we found that would stick to every possible surface without peeling off.

I hope this information helps!

Heather

Heather Marie Kosur

Illinois State University