[padg] RE: survey

Hi Julie,
Baker Library at the Harvard Business School is in the middle of a similar policy project...so I can't fill out much of the survey for you now, but will be happy to share the results in the future.  I'd also really appreciate hearing what you decide, and what you hear from other libraries if they are willing to share the information.  I already got Janet Gertz' from Columbia.

What I know as of this moment:
We're currently not doing any new transfers to the Harvard Depository (HD) because of low staffing.  In the past, low use was one criterion; I know other Harvard libraries transfer new acquisitions directly to HD based on subject area (ie,  anticipated low use).

Key questions being debated as criteria for keeping and binding a print subscription are:
1. Are we the "library of record" for this title?
2. Do we have a substantial run of this title (ie, more than 80% or 85%)?
3. Do we have the first 10 issues of a title and therefore have historically significant holdings?
4. Do we have guaranteed access to a digital version directly from the publisher?  If so, consider limited retention of print (and no binding) and/or cancelling print subscriptions.  Note that we are not considering Ebsco or other aggregators' online access as permanent access, only direct from publisher.
5. Are there lots of visuals or illustrations that are not captured well by digital means?

Best,
Priscilla Anderson, Collections Conservator
Baker Library Historical Collections
Knowledge and Library Services
Baker Library 123
Harvard Business School
tel: 617-384-5293
fax: 617-495-5957
www.library.hbs.edu/hc

"We support Harvard Business School's mission by enabling the creation and exchange of ideas, expertise and information."