[padg] Preservation in Public Libraries

Preservation in Public Libraries

Sponsored by the North Carolina Preservation Consortium

August 8, 2008

9:00 AM – 4:00 PM

Forsyth County Public Library
Winston-Salem, North Carolina

In 2007 the Cleveland Public Library received the Award for Outstanding Commitment to the Preservation and Care of Collections.  This award is presented annually by the American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC) and Heritage Preservation.   The Cleveland Public Library is the first public library to win this prestigious national award.  Public libraries serve communities by preserving valuable historical and cultural collections that promote an appreciation of diversity, a connection with other cultures, and an understanding of our past.  This program will showcase successful experiences meeting the challenges of preservation in public libraries.

Speakers

Ann Olszewski
Preservation Manager
Cleveland Public Library

Ms. Olszewski will give the keynote address.  She will provide an overview of the preservation program at the Cleveland Public Library.  In addition to significant collections of books, manuscripts, photographs, maps, and other materials on paper, the Cleveland Public Library holds many distinguished works of art.

Molly Rawls
Photo Collection Librarian
North Carolina Room
Forsyth County Public Library

Ms. Rawls will present on preserving the Photograph Collection in the Forsyth County Public Library.  This historical collection includes work from Frank B. Jones, Jim Keith, Bill East, Bill Ray, and the Coppedge Studios.  Photographs date from the end of the 19th century to current day and feature images of buildings, homes, street scenes, people and city events.  Many of the photographs were used in local newspapers, and others are professional portraits.

Susan Simpson
Librarian
Lydia Davis
Library Technician
Carteret County Public Library

Ms. Simpson and Ms. Davis will provide information on the NCPC grant funded project to preserve the Ethel T. Elliott Collection in the Carteret County Public Library.  The collection contains manuscripts, bound volumes, ancestry charts, family histories, indexes, documents, and microfilm.  Ethel T. Elliott was a professional genealogist and historian.

Andy Poore
Curator, Special Collections
Mooresville Public Library

Mr. Poore will discuss the preservation of records for the Mooresville Public Library, the Mooresville Museum, and the Town of Mooresville.  He will also address preservation of  books, articles, brochures, pamplets, letters, photographs, documents, and other items related to the citizens and the people of Mooresville in the library’s Special Collections.

Who Should Attend
This workshop will be beneficial for all personnel working in public libraries.  Staff in academic, medical, special, and school libraries, and museum and historic site staff are also invited.  Faculty and students in library science, public history, and museum programs are encouraged to attend.  Trustees and friends of libraries are welcome as well.

Location
The Forsyth County Public Library in Winston-Salem is hosting this program.  The address is 660 West Fifth Street, Winston-Salem, NC 27101.

Registration
The registration fee for this workshops is $30.00 for NCPC members and $60.00 for
non-members.  This fee includes lunch, refreshments, and materials.  Registration forms are available on the NCPC web site under Events:   http://www.ncpreservation.org/events.html

Cancellation and Refund Policy
This program may be cancelled due to low registration or other causes beyond our control, such as severe weather.  In such an event, registrants will be notified and fees refunded.  Otherwise, registration fees are nonrefundable.  Substitution of staff from your institution is permitted.

Special Needs & Location Questions
If you have any special dietary or access needs, or would like information about the Winston-Salem area please contact our local arrangements coordinators:

Delois Due or Billy King
North Carolina Room
Forsyth County Public Library
Phone   (336) 703-3070

NCPC News
Would you like to receive email announcements about future workshops and conferences sponsored by the North Carolina Preservation Consortium?  Interested in information about preservation in libraries, archives, museums, historic sites, and other heritage institutions?  Subscribe to the NCPC News listserv.  This is not a discussion list.  You will only receive official email from NCPC.  Subscribe on our Web site at:   http://ncpreservation.org/mailman/listinfo/ncpcnews-l

North Carolina Preservation Consortium    www.ncpreservation.org
The North Carolina Preservation Consortium (NCPC) is a 501C3 nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation of educational, historical, cultural, and research collections in our state's archives, libraries, museums, historic sites, document depositories, and record centers. NCPC also informs the general public about preservation to safeguard private collections and family treasures. Our preservation mission addresses the proper care and handling of materials; storage and environmental control; disaster preparedness and recovery; the repair, reformatting and conservation of damaged items; and collection security. NCPC supports the preservation of information content, and the medium as artifact, in new and traditional formats for present and future generations.

Membership
We would like to welcome your institution to the preservation consortium. Our minimum annual membership fee is only $100.00. Higher levels of support are voluntary. Benefits of NCPC membership include discounts on our continuing education workshops and annual conference. Employees of institutional members are eligible to hold leadership positions as officers and on the consortium's board of directors, committees, and task groups. Member institutions are also recognized for their contributions on our Web site. The success of our state wide preservation program depends on the talents, diversity, and generosity of our colleagues. Together we can make a difference in the survival of our heritage collections. Join NCPC today!  Membership information is available on the NCPC web site:   http://www.ncpreservation.org/membership.html

Support NCPC
Our programs are made possible by the generous financial support of our institutional members, corporate sponsors, and individual donors.  If you would like to make a gift to the North Carolina Preservation Consortium please visit our Preservation Philanthropy Webpage at   http://www.ncpreservation.org/support.html

Institutional members are listed on the NCPC Web site at   http://www.ncpreservation.org/members.html.

Corporate Sponsors are listed at   http://www.ncpreservation.org/corporatesponsor.htm.

For additional information about NCPC contact:

Robert James
Executive Director
North Carolina Preservation Consortium

PO Box 2651