[padg] NEH Funding Cuts - Send Your Positive Impact Stories to NHA for Testimony

Dear Preservation Administration Discussion Group,

Please see the announcement below from the National Humanities Alliance (NHA).  If you have received NEH Preservation and Access funding,  NEDCC encourages you to send stories and photos that illustrate the positive impact of NEH support for preservation.  NHA will be submitting testimony on April 3 – please join the effort to save this important source of funding.

Also, a letter or email to the Chairman of the House Interior Appropriations Subcommittee, Minority Leader, or your local member of Congress will help get the word out.

Regards,

Julie Martin Carlson

Development and Public Relations Coordinator

Northeast Document Conservation Center

100 Brickstone Square

Andover, MA 01810

(978) 470-1010 ext. 217

(978) 475-6021 fax

www.nedcc.org

*****************************

Friday, March 7, 2008

As you may know, the President's Budget Request for the National Endowment for the Humanities for Fiscal Year 2009 (FY09) calls for nearly $7 million in cuts to the Preservation & Access and Challenge Grants divisions.  The Preservation & Access Division would be cut by $4.519 million, decreasing funding from the FY08 level of $18.4M to $13.9M (rounded).  Within Preservation & Access, the Stabilization Grants category would be completely eliminated ($3.6M in stabilization grants were awarded in FY07). Challenge Grants would be cut by $2.2M, from $9.3M in FY08 to $7.1M in FY09 -- endowment grants in particular have been targeted.

NHA will be submitting testimony to the House Interior Appropriations Subcommittee on April 3rd.  If your organization or members are directly affected by the proposed cuts, NHA would like to know.  I would also appreciate any examples of ways in which these grants have been useful, and continue to have a positive impact.  Please respond by email or in writing (postal mail).  I will be out of the office through March 12, and will use this information to help draft our testimony when I return.

Many thanks,

Jessica Jones Irons

Executive Director

National Humanities Alliance