From: Michele Brown [mailto:mb72@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 3:33 PM
To: padg@xxxxxxx
Subject: [padg] Rare materials in remote storage

I've been asked by our Curator of Rare Books to get feedback
regarding bar coding of rare materials being sent to off site storage
facilities. For those of you who send these materials off site: how
do you attach a bar code? When rare materials are on the shelf, the
bar code is attached to a card that lays in the book, but when put in
a storage tray these cards may fall out. We don't want to attach the
bar code directly to the item. One idea would be to attach the bar
code to a piece of paper that wraps around the front cover. However,
this will only work if the covers are attached and in good condition.
What are people doing in the cases of detached covers or materials
without covers?

Thanks.

Michele Brown
Book Conservator
Department of Preservation and Collection Maintenance
B-31 Olin Library
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853
(607) 255-2484