[padg] Re: Nicholson Baker update from NYT

While I have never had the honor of chatting with Mr. Baker, as a conservation educator and a librarian I find his work invaluable--for the simple reason that Baker offers an "outsiders" perspective. While I am no expert on the work of French sociologist Pierre Bourdieu, there is a english translation of a phrase he uses that I find pertinent for any group of professionals : "common sense myopia". We are a small passionate field, and it is easy to lose perspective and become myopic. Baker offers another set of eyes, and surely that is valuable for all who care about our research collections today.
--
Consuela Metzger
Lecturer - Book Conservation

Books are quiet. They do not dissolve into wavy lines or snowstorm effects. They do not pause to deliver commercials. They are three-dimensional, having length, breadth and depth. They are convenient to handle and completely portable.
ATTRIBUTION:
Notice posted at University of Wisconsin library