[padg] data from floppy disks

Hello, We are reviewing floppy disks in our archival collections—a great many of which are personal storage disks for word processing documents, included within collections of the papers of individuals. We have over 1000 disks, about half are 3 ½ inch and half are 5 ¼ inch. We would like to use a vendor(s) to copy the files to useable media as is, and to create plain text or pdf versions of the word-type documents, one per file. I have read about in-house pilot projects doing this type of work, but we would prefer to work with a vendor who is prepared with hardware and software to handle obsolete media and formats. I would appreciate suggestions of vendors you may have used to do this type of work. Thanks for advice. Kathy

Kathleen E. Arthur

Preservation Reformatting Librarian

University of Chicago Library

1100 East 57th Street