[padg] putting titles on books

I am asking for suggestions for creating new title labels on books that
have undergone treatment in-house (spines repairs or new cases) and for
which the original spine piece couldn't  be saved.  At present, we are
making titles in Word, printing them with a laser printer on acid free
paper, and after sealing the ink with a coat of Cellugel , we apply them
onto the spines of the books with PVA. This method is not entirely
satisfactory since we have noticed that our new titles don't pass the
test of wear very well. After a few check outs, the ink tends to flake
off and the support  tends to get dirty. If anyone has found a better
way of generating titles would you mind sharing it with us? Are there
any better sealants that can be applied without a fume hood? We are also
considering trying the  printer that we use for generating call number
labels  and I would like to know if anyone has ever experimented with a
Zebra printer (thermal transfer printer) to make titles?

Soline d'Haussy
Conservator
Milner Library
Illinois State University