[padg] ALA digital preservation discussion group

PADGers,

I know we are all terribly busy, especially with the Holidays coming up and Midwinter so very early this year.  However, DG co chairs Becky Ryder and I respectfully ask that if you have not already read the excellent white paper by Oya Reiger on Large scale digitization initiatives, and you plan to attend the Digital Preservation Discussion group, that you please do so. Ms. Reiger will be giving a 10 minute overview of the paper and then facilitating a discussion on outcomes and next steps.

Happy Holidays!!

Cathy and Becky

PARS Digital Preservation Discussion Group

Sunday, January 13th from 8:00 am to 10:00 am

Radisson, Crystal Ballroom

AGENDA:

Welcome and Introduction of Chairs

Updates:

·        Digital Preservation conference at the Koninklijke Bibliotheek http://www.kb.nl/hrd/congressen/toolstrends/index-en.html  (overview Liz Bishoff) 5 min

·        National Science Foundation granting program   (overview Mary Molinaro) 5 min

·        Digital Curation Conference (See http://www.dcc.ac.uk/events/dcc-2007/ ) (overview Mary Molinaro) 5 min

·        Digital Preservation Definition and digital preservation listserv updates (Cathy Martyniak) 5 min

Preservation in the age of large scale digitization.

Please read the September 2007 CLIR white paper at http://www.clir.org/activities/details/lsdi.pdf ahead of time.

**Our special guest speaker for this part of the discussion group will be the author of the paper, Ms. Oya Reiger!!**

File Formats 101: why do they matter to you?

Presentation by Laurie Taylor, University of Florida Digital Projects Librarian

Wrap Up: Agenda topics for next time?

Co-Chairs:

Becky Ryder, University of Kentucky  rjryde01@xxxxxxx

Cathy Martyniak, University of Florida  cathy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cathleen L. Martyniak

Chair, Preservation Department

University of Florida Smathers Libraries

Gainesville, FL 32611

(voice) 352 273 2830

(fax) 352 392 6597

(email) cathy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx