[padg] Writing in library books

Hello everyone!

I would very much like to hear from others about the problem of patrons writing in library books. Clearly it is not a new problem, but at NYU we are seeing an increased amount writing in circulating books, in pen, pencil and highlighter. I am interested in your policies and procedures to deal with it: are staff assigned the task of erasing what can be erased? If so, is that a preservation department task, or, as in my library, the circulation department staff do erasing. Are badly written in books replaced? If so, is the patron charged for the book? Or, do these books just go back into circulation? Are there patron education efforts that seem to work well for you?

If you have answers to any of these questions or comments on the topic itself, please email me at: destefano@xxxxxxx.

Thank you!

Paula

Paula De Stefano