[PADG:1445] The Preservation Directorate of the Library of Congress announces TOPS lecture

The Preservation Directorate of the Library of Congress announces the
27th lecture in its series on "Topics in Preservation Science (TOPS),"
Monday, April 23, 2007, from 10:00 am - 12:00 noon.

Dr. Carl H. Haber, Senior Scientist in the Physics Division of Lawrence
Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) at the University of California,
will present *Imaging Methods for Recorded Sound and Preservation
Access: The I.R.E.N.E. Project and Future Prospects*.

The Preservation Directorate has collaborated with LBNL to capture
sound from damaged phonographs and similar 2-D grooved recordings. The
prototype "I.R.E.N.E. Machine" has been installed at LC for fidelity
evaluation.  Future directions focus on developing a second device for
high-resolution  surface profiling of 3-D grooved media, such as wax
cylinders.

Location:  Dining Room A, Madison Building 6th floor, Library of
Congress (101 Independence Avenue SE, Washington, D.C. 20540).

The Topics in Preservation Science lectures are free and open to the
public. For more information about this series, which is continually
expanded and updated, see
http://www.loc.gov/preserv/tops/schedule.html.

Jeanne Drewes
Chief, Binding & Collections Care,