[PADG:1407] Re: CoLibri Book Cover System

We have been using the CoLibri book cover system in our book repair unit for over 5 years.  It was first used in our Conservation Lab.

We cover 75-100 volumes per month.  The primary use of CoLibri covers is for Special Collections volumes.  New acquisitions with dust jackets are covered for protection, as are older volumes with somewhat tattered dust jackets.  Paperbacks are covered.  We also place the CoLibri covers on deteriorating leather bindings to keep the red rot from rubbing onto other books and to help keep users’ hands clean.  Per Special Collections’ request, we use the CoLibri pouches to construct polyethylene envelopes for single pages, small pamphlets, and miniature books.  We use 20 pt. card stock as a stiffener within the pocket.

We also cover items within the circulating collections, especially for books in the art library.  The covers are useful for preserving original covers and for protecting those with cut-out areas or those made with unusual materials.  I have not yet replaced any CoLibri covers, so there are covers out there that have been on the books for up to 5 years.  With time the covers get scratched up but are still doing their job.

Note that because we use heat-set call-number labels, we must have the labels attached to the spine or to the dustjacket BEFORE adding the CoLibri cover.

The pouches work splendidly on many sizes of books, but there are occasions when we trim the width of the pouch.  We like to have the folded edge of the pouch on the fore edge of the volume rather than to have a weld.  This trimming may be too fussy for some folks but we feel it looks much nicer.

We have had to replace the welding bar a few times.  We learned to wipe away any accumulation of plastic on the welding bar; sometimes this means wiping after every 4th weld or so.  I have suspicions that the humidity plays some part in how well and how neatly the material welds.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Susan Hansen

Book Repair Supervisor

Preservation Department

University of Iowa Libraries