[PADG:1398] protocol for de-duping

Has anyone developed written protocols or guidelines for a de-duping project for bound volumes? Can you share documents or tips? I'm thinking of instructions for staff (possibly student assistants) on how to compare two volumes of the same title and select the better copy: completeness of text (missing pages or elements such as advertising in a journal), presence of add-ons like indices, comparing condition or quality of binding, etc.

If you have managed such a project, what was your experience on time, effort, and resources required?

Please respond to me off-list, if you wish, and I will summarize for the group.

Shannon Zachary, Head, Preservation and Conservation
University Library
The University of Michigan
837 Greene St. / 3202 Buhr Bldg.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1048