[PADG:1384] Declaration of Principles -

Title: Declaration of Principles -

This is FYI for those who attended the "Bob Harriman" early morning edition of the PADG meeting in Seattle.

Toward the close of the session I mentioned that I had seen a Canadian "Declaration of Principles" about reformatting.  The source is the Canadian Council of Archives Preservation Committee.  The full title is: Declaration of Principles Concerning the Relationship of Digitization to Preservation of Archival Records (Ottawa, Ontario: Canadian Council of Archives, 2002).  Included are the following two principles:

2. Digitization is, above all, part of an access strategy.

3. The process of digitization must not place original records at risk of damage from handling or use.

For the complete text see: http://cdncouncilarchives.ca/digitarc.html#declaration

- Walter Cybulski
NLM