[PADG:1372] Re: Metrics for measuring a Preservation program?

Hi Holly:

I found your email quite interesting and was wondering if this project is something we could use to get a Virginia preservation cooperative started.  I looked at your Balanced Scorecard Metrics and think that GMU probably does something similar, at least we seem to collect a vast amount of statistics that are probably organized into something enabling us to take a unified look at the library system.  Since our preservation program is still in the initial stage, I cannot offer any insight into how we're measuring anything, but maybe we could all share the information you have (or will have in the future) to learn from each other and maybe work on setting the same or similar standards.  >From the ARL statistics it looks like Va. Tech. has a preservation program, you at UVA do, and JMU and GMU are working on it.  I have also been in touch with Valinda Carroll at Hampton U. who responded to my inquiry about surveying collections at multiple campuses.  She is a one-person preservation department there, but at least they have something in place.  If VIVA is not interested in doing anything with preservation, maybe we could contact the 15 4-year public colleges and universities to see if there is any interest.  Or maybe I'm going too fast, and we should start by contacting someone at Va.Tech. to see if they would be interested in joining you, Julia and me in cooperating with preservation issues. I really like your idea of developing metrics to support funding and personnel requests and would like to do so here also, and if we develop similar standards we can gain strength through numbers.  Please let me know what you think and good luck with getting your information.

All the best,
Lene

Holly Robertson wrote:
Hi all,

The University of Virginia Library uses Balanced Scorecard Metrics to provide a view of the organization from four perspectives: user, internal processes, financial, and learning growth / potential.  For example, a metric in our internal process perspective measures processing time for routine acquisitions against two targets: 1) process 90% of in-print books from N. America within one month or 2) process 80% of in-print books from N. America within one month (last year we hit just below target 1 at 87.5%).  If you're interested in the wide range of activities we measure annually, you can find more information -- and the results -- at <http://lib.virginia.edu/bsc/index.html>.

I'm working to develop metric(s) to measure the progress of our developing Preservation program by examining input (funding allocated to the program, number of staff, salaries, etc. -- basically items that fall under the expenditures area of the ARL Preservation Statistics) vs. output (conservation treatment, binding, reformatting -- again, based on ARL Preservation Stat reporting).  The goal is not only to prove that increased investment will yield increased output; it is also to provide annual targets for success which often translate into keeping Preservation on the Library's radar and goals list.

How do you measure the success or progress of your Preservation programs?  Do any of you use similar metrics to account for your Library's commitment to Preservation or the annual productivity of your operations?  Are these based on year-to-year comparisons of ARL Pres Stats or other metrics?

Feel free to respond to the list or to me individually.

Thanks,
Holly

Holly Robertson
Preservation Librarian