[PADG:1312] Re: Lost Books: literature search

I'm very interested in this topic. We are just fine-tuning
the replacement procedures for our library and having done that, I would like to
also try to review trends in replacements and compare loss
rates with other institutions to see if we have a typical rate of loss or a higher one. Some are billed books (patron reported as lost and are billed) so we can
track trends, some are missing in the stacks (without a
periodic inventory of the entire holdings, there is no way to
track trends as finding these is dependent on someone
selecting a title and going to the shelf.) We also have
other categories of missing books. My main interest is
is in reducing our annual expenditures on replacements
through whatever means necessary - improved building security,
patron education, higher fines, etc. So I would find a
literature review very useful right now.

Thanks
Karen

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 15:27:56 -0600