[PADG:1295] Earthquake Protection for Rare Books

All:

We've had some trouble with a couple items falling off of our compact
shelving in the Rare Book Library. It's older, automatic Spacesaver shelving and
jiggles. I was hoping that you had some examples of either (a) home-made
lips or bands or (b) commercial solutions that folks have used to help
protect items from falling off of the shelving units.

While we don't have a photo mounted of the exact shelving system, the link below provides a reasonable approximation of the shelving in question.

http://www.donnegansystems.com/sitegraphics/Montel/Compact-Shelving3.jpg

Thanks,

Tom

Acting Associate University Librarian for Collections Head of Preservation and Assistant Professor, John "Bud" Velde Endowed Professorship University Library 246F Main Library University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign 1408 West Gregory Drive Urbana, IL 61801

Telephone:      217-244-8755
Fax:            217-244-4358