[PADG:1269] responses to the string versus rubber band issue

My apologies for not summarizing the responses on my query about string versus rubber bands for holding together issues going to the binder sooner.  The majority of people feel that rubber bands can damage the materials and so prefer string or Grip tites.  The Library of Congress will continue to use string.  Thanks to all who responded, summarized below:

If the concern is with efficiency instead of
preservation why don't they just cut the strings?
Alternatively, you might offer to secure them with 2" bands of mylar
(which could also be snipped), wrap them in blank newsprint, put them in
envelopes, or put them in a manila folder and rubber band that. When the
shipment is returned, the reusable supplies could be returned along
with the bound issues.

We just said "no," keep tying with the "grip tites."

We've tried taping a strip of adding machine paper tape around text
blocks but it tears easily. We ended up having to put an elastic band
over the paper tape. That didn't work very well either.

We're back to elastic bands and not happy about it because they do
sometimes cut the covers or erode the edges of the text block if any
pages stick out a little.

We tried extra large, red elastic bands but the red dye rubs off on the
text block. Now we use slightly smaller beige-yellow elastic bands which
do not leave a mark. They are about 6 3/4 in. long and came from Office
Max, size 117.

You might ask your binder to supply paper strips that can be taped in place instead of rubber bands. We've been using scrap paper strips to hold together pages of preservation photocopies we produce in-house when we send them for binding and they work very well -- when taped reasonably snugly they hold up long enough to store and pack the volumes, but tear off easily. And they are very easy on the materials. The kind of paper used for packing material cut five inches wide, 20-24 inches long would work for nearly all journals.

We have found the pressure from rubber bands do indeed
tear covers.  The binder usually does not take time to notice when the
rubber bands are beginning to dry rot.  The binder recycles the rubber
bands so much they tend to break and the issues will then be loose to
scatter at will.

We use rubber bands on material we determine can take it without bending,
cutting in, etc.  Otherwise we use string or Griptites.  A side note to
this is that we ask our binder to cut away the rubber bands to cut down on
something being damaged by removing the rubber bands too quickly or
carelessly.

Why does it take more time to cut the string off than to remove rubber
bands?

We also had a similar issue with our binder and compromised on the "H"
band rubber bands.  They are a bit thicker and for some reason tend to
sit just right on the material without tearing pages or causing that
horrible rubber band indentation.
http://www.gaylordmart.com/adblock.asp?abid=968&sid=63BC75AE5ED24143959156F97F2B44&search_by=desc&search_for=rubber%20bands

rubber bands are evil- try not to use them.

Binders do not like string/cotton ties because they claim strings "slow
them down."  My past experience was that more tears were caused by
rubber bands and the binder would not always notice the tears.

Jeanne Drewes
Chief, Binding & Collections Care
Library of Congress
jdre@xxxxxxx