[PADG:1230] Re: Preservation assessment survey of multiple libraries and collections

Lene,
We received an NEH Preservation Assessment grant to have a consultant come in and assess our collections, buildings, etc.
It has been very helpful to us particularly in regard to the environment in a building circa 1939.
I created a preservation internship program and selected a student intern to assess the preservation needs of our Special Collections.
She systematically did acidity testing and counted needs for replacement boxes and folders and even furniture. We've been systematically making and ordering phase boxes for at-risk books. I wonder if a few interns could tackle certain pieces of your survey for you? Katherine was so good and reliable that I ended up hiring her when the preservation student assistant position became available. She is now looking at conservation and library programs for graduate school...it was a win-win situation for the library and for a talented student.
We too have a main library and 3 satellite libraries. If you'd like to visit sometime, please do. We're 2 hours from Fairfax. I'm the only FTE and rely on student assistants for much of the conservation repairs. I work closely with our binding manager and wear several hats...
Good luck--I might try to make the Solinet class you're hosting this Fall.
Julia

Lene Palmer wrote:

I am the preservation librarian at George Mason University, a fairly large public university in Northern Virginia. We are instituting a preservation program, and one of our initial actions will be to conduct a survey of the collection to establish its condition. We have a distributed library system which means that we have one main library and three smaller "branch" libraries all in one system with a shared catalog. I have two basic questions:

1. How should we deal with the fact that we have one collection distributed in one main and three smaller libraries? A sample of 400 randomly selected volumes seems to be sufficient for a statistically valid sample, but is that enough for the entire collection, or should I select 400 volumes from the main library and then smaller samples, say 150 volumes from each of the other three libraries?

2. What should we survey? If we survey only the circulating collection, how to we then assess the reference collection and its preservation needs? The reference collection, of course, is much more heavily used than the circulating collection and will have different needs, so if we survey them together, the results will probably be skewed. Should I simply concentrate on the circulating collection first and then consider the reference collection, government documents, maps, etc. later as we gain more experience and hopefully more staff? We intend to do the survey using our current staff as there is no budget for hiring a consultant.

Any insight or good advise anyone can give me on either or both of these questions will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Lene Palmer, Collection Development and Preservation Librarian
Fenwick Library
George Mason University
4400 University Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030