[PADG:1177] Re: Hardcopy and/or digital theses & dissertations?

Tyra,

We do have ETDs, and currently we are maintaining digital versions
only. They are stored in our institutional repository
(http://txspace.tamu.edu).

They are never in paper form at all, all submissions to the Thesis
Office are completely electronic, from there they are batch loaded into
txspace, and MARC records are generated automatically and sent to
cataloging.

Hope this helps,

Jay Koenig
Metadata Librarian
Digital Initiatives, Research, and Technology
Sterling C. Evans Library
College Station, TX 77845-5000
(979) 862-3887
jkoenig@xxxxxxxx

>>> "Grant, Tyra" <tgrant@xxxxxx> 8/29/2006 3:10:47 pm >>>
I'm seeking information about ETDs (electronic theses & dissertations):

1) Does your institution have ETDs?

2) If yes, does your library maintain:

1)    Digital versions only?
        If yes, how are these being archived?

2)    Digital versions archived by vendor (who promises they can
produce
film or hardcopy reprint at any time)?

3)    Digital versions and hardcopy (kept by the library or university
archive)?

University of Kansas does #2 but I wonder if we should do #3 because
theses and dissertations represent a primary product of KU as an
academic institution so we therefore have a unique and primary
responsibility for their preservation.   I feel we could be taking a
risk we cannot afford, especially when the cost of creating and
managing
hardcopies would probably not be high.

How do others manage archiving etd's?  Are there other thoughts on
this
topic (or maybe I've missed some key discussions or meetings)?

Thanks,
Tyra Grant
Head, Preservation Department
University of Kansas Libraries