[PADG:1175] DVD equipment incompatibility

We’re having problems with folks bringing DVDs back claiming they don’t work.  But we’re finding there’s nothing wrong with them.   The problem is that DVDs don’t play on all equipment that claims to play them, due to different types of DVDs there are (DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, etc.)  The DVDs themselves often don’t say.

The only solution we’ve come up with is to routinely put a prominent label on all DVD containers that reads something like “This DVD may not play on all equipment.”

Are there any other solutions out there?

Nancy E. Kraft
University of Iowa Libraries
Preservation
100 Main Library