[PADG:1166] RE: security/welcome desk query

Dannis,

Thanks very much!

Yvonne

Dannis Mitchell wrote:
At Cal State San Marcos we have 3M security gates at the 2nd and 3rd
floor entrances/exits of the library. This means each piece of library
material must be security stripped. When the item is checked out the
strip is desensitized. When it is returned it is sysentized again.
This works quite well for us. These gates are located near the
circulation desks. We also have a voice alarm that goes off if someone
tries to exit without checking an item out. It tells them to return to
the check out desk.

Dannis L. Mitchell Preservation/Donations

Kellogg Library Cal State San Marcos San Marcos, CA 92096

phone 760-750-4334 fax 760-750-3330

-----Original Message----- From: owner-padg@xxxxxxx [mailto:owner-padg@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Yvonne Carignan Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 8:27 AM To: padg@xxxxxxx Cc: wdn@xxxxxxx Subject: [PADG:1164] security/welcome desk query

Colleagues,

I would appreciate help with the issue of staffing a security/welcome desk at the front door of a large academic library. My questions
include:
1)How does your library keep books from being stolen by simply walking out the front door? 2)Would you share statistics about how many times book theft is prevented by a guard or monitor, or other related statistics?
3)Any arguments you or your colleagues have used to upgrade front door security.

Thanks very much,

Yvonne

Yvonne Carignan
Head of Preservation